Who is responsible for what?
There are three levels of local government in Littlemore. In increasing order of importance and budget they are:
There is a detailed breakdown about the difference between the City and County councils here. Here is a more brief outline:
|County Council||City Council||Littlemore Parish Council|
|| || |
What is CIL and S106?
- CIL (community infrastructure levy), is a planning charge on new development to help the funding of infrastructure. It is paid by the developer.
- S106 (Section 106 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990) allows a local planning authority, like Oxford City Council, to enter into a legally-binding agreement or planning obligation with a landowner as part of the granting of planning permission. At parish level, this results in us receiving some funds to spend on specific things e.g. “sports and leisure facilities” or “public art”.
- There is typically a five year time limit for spending CIL and S106 funds, though this can not apply if it is being saved for a larger project.
- CIL is not collected for social housing projects (see e.g. here)
Who is responsible for new doctor’s surgeries?
- Integrated care boards (ICBs) are responsible for deciding what and where medical services are needed. Our local one is “BOB ICS”.
- Services ICBs commission include:
- most planned hospital care
- rehabilitative care
- urgent and emergency care (including out-of-hours)
- most community health services
- mental health and learning disability services.
- The trend with GP surgeries is consolidation into larger sites, and there are a falling number of GPs
- It is possible (though difficult) to lobby the local CCG to include a new GP surgery in the primary care plan
Who is responsible for new chemists/dentists?
How much do highways works costs?
People often ask for various highways works (zebra crossings etc.) but are often surprised at the magnitude of the costs involved. This article summarises typical costs for common projects: https://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/article/1281/Costs-of-highway-works